L-arginine is one of many amino acids the body needs to function properly. L-arginine plays a role in building protein. The body can use the protein to help build muscle and rebuild tissue.
Supporting research & information
While not exactly an “essential” amino acid — meaning an amino acid that the body cannot make on its own and, therefore, must get from outside sources — L-arginine is considered somewhat essential because it’s highly important for many functions yet usually present in low quantities, especially as someone gets older. One of the biggest benefits of taking arginine is its ability to improve blood flow and circulation. In the body, it is converted into nitric oxide, which causes blood vessels to open wider.
This has multiple benefits, including improving immune function, fertility, detoxification and brain power. Another important aspect of L-arginine is that it stimulates the production of certain hormones, especially beneficial growth hormones and insulin that help usher glucose into cells to be used for growth and energy output. This is one of the reasons it’s believed to enhance physical performance, stamina and strength.
Other L-arginine benefits include:
- fighting inflammation
- lowering risk for arteriosclerosis and heart attack
- repairing blood vessels
- fighting congestive heart failure and coronary artery disease
- helping lower high blood pressure
- improving athletic performance
- increasing immune function
- reducing muscle pains (especially in the legs caused by blocked arteries)
- improving kidney function
- improving mental capacity
- fighting dementia
- correcting impotence, erectile dysfunction and male infertility
This ingredient is found in the following Eudeamon products